After a mind mapping exercise with a bunch of folks, we came up with the following order of things that we think are necessary for writing a good proposal to senior management.
1. Mission vs problem statement - If the problem is a well understood or a known issue then we can go after mission statement first followed by the problem statement. If not the order could be reversed.
2. Objective\goal\mission\problem statement
3. Solution or what we are going to do?
4. How does this idea fit the long term focus and vision of the company
5. Where are we going to market this?
6. What are the risks and their respective mitigation.
7. What are the competitor strategies and the approaches
8. What are the techniques\technology used to build
9. How many resources we need? What can be leveraged from the existing resources [Vendor companies involvement?]
10. What is the cost of implementation? ROI
11. Are there any proof of concepts? Product prototyping
12. What could be a likely schedule\dates?
13. Will there be any legal issues - say patents etc
15. Product serviceability and road map - support too…
16. Pending risk.